Healthy Meal: Turkey Bacon Cheeseburger Lettuce Wraps with Fruit Bowl
Healthy Leftover Idea: Patty Melts
Do you want to eat healthy yet at the same time still enjoy an American classic? Sure the traditional cheeseburger with french fries and a soda are not going to be particularly healthy for you, however there is a way to still enjoy a portion of this meal without having to sacrifice much in the terms of flavor.
Even though the meal listed below may seem a bit strange to you at first, don’t knock it until you actually give it a try. Like most healthy meal alternatives, it just takes a willingness to try something new and you may be quite surprised. By removing the fried potatoes (french fries) and calorie/sugar packed drink (soda), and exchanging the 200 calorie bun to substitute a leaf of lettuce (practically 0 calories), you will see how a meal that may have been 1,800+ calories is now only about 400. That should make you smile big as you enjoy the savory taste of these turkey bacon cheeseburger lettuce wraps.
*Remember, drink water or other 0 calorie beverage so you don’t add extra unnecessary calories to this meal.
– pan/skillet for cooking patties
– large mixing bowl
– tongs for flipping bacon pieces
– 2 pounds ground turkey
– 1 pack Turkey Bacon (Oscar Mayer red package)
– 1 head of lettuce
– lowfat mozzarella cheese slices
– A1 sauce (or worcestershire sauce)
optional: tomato and onion slices
Non stick spray or oil for skillet
Various fruits of your liking. This example used grapes, bananas, apples, and peaches
seasonings salt, pepper, garlic powder, minced onion
For Leftover Patty Melts:
– Whole wheat bread
1. Place entire package of ground turkey in a large mixing bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of minced onion, 4 tablespoons of A1 sauce, and a few sprinkles of seasoned salt, pepper and garlic powder. Using clean hands mix everything well.
2. Once meat is mixed, form turkey burger patties. Use hands to make flat circular discs approximately 5 inches in diameter. They will shrink about an inch after cooking.
3. Use non-stick spray or a light oil coat on the skillet, put on medium heat, and place the turkey burger patties. Use a spatula and carefully flip the patties every 4-5 minutes.
4. When the patties are browning on each side, looking nearly done, you can add cheese on top if desired. If you’re unsure, use a knife to cut open the center of a patty to inspect the color. Keep in mind once you add the cheese you can no longer flip the patties so be sure before adding cheese, the turkey burgers are nearly finished cooking.
5. For the turkey bacon, you can choose to cook in the traditional way on a skillet, flipping the pieces with tongs every few minutes until cooked to your preference. Another way is to place a paper towel on a microwave safe plate, put the turkey bacon pieces side by side and then cover with another paper towel. Microwave for two minutes, then flip pieces over, recover, and put in for another two minutes. You may need to repeat depending on number of pieces you put and how well done you prefer bacon. If you do need more time, reduce to only a minute and check afterwards before repeating.
6. Carefully peel large lettuce leaves, gently wash, and pat dry with a clean paper towel. Place inside a turkey cheeseburger with 2 strips of turkey bacon. You may add mustard and a bit of ketchup or mayonnaise if you’d like, just be cautious not to use too much. Wrap lettuce around to close as best as possible. You may want to use two pieces of lettuce so that the turkey bacon cheeseburger is fully enveloped.
7. Finally slice/cut the fruits of your liking and place in a bowl to serve alongside of your healthy turkey bacon cheeseburger lettuce wrap!
Leftover Meal Idea: You can choose to take one of these wonderful lettuce wrapped turkey burgers with you to work for the following day, however try to keep the lettuce separate from everything until you are ready to eat. Package separately or with a dry paper towel wrapped around the lettuce will do the trick.
If you would like something a little different, you can opt to make patty melts. Just as making a grilled cheese sandwich, lightly butter two pieces of whole wheat bread, place one piece of bread butter-side down on a skillet (medium temperature). Then place one of the leftover cooked turkey cheeseburgers on top along with a piece of lettuce and/or tomato and finally the second piece of bread but this time butter side facing up. Use a spatula to flip the patty melt every 4-5 minutes until each side is golden brown. Slice in half and store in a plastic travel container to enjoy for lunch the next day.